Thursday 10 November 2011

If You Build it They will Come,,,,,



If you build it they will come.  Absolutely, with a couple of caveats.  1.  You have to have a great product. (although the snuggie still defies that logic..)  2. They have to know about the product and where to get it.  3. You have to keep reminding people you exist -over and over again or they will get distracted by another product.


I have been in sales and marketing my entire life, but most of the time I have not been able to choose the products I sell.  Some have been great, others mediocre, but I am at my best when I am selling a prodcut that is really great. That the customers derive results from.  My background is pharmaceutical sales, when I started over 20 years ago I sold products that people really needed. There was competition but there were some real differences between products  As the years progressed, it became more about which products can generate the most revenue for a company.  It didn't matter if there were already 5 similar products out on the market, if there was a chance to grab a little piece of a big $ market then that was the direction.  Instead of feeling like I was part of something that really made a difference in people's lives, it started to feel like I was just part of a money grab.  Who could we snuggle up to earn their favor for our product.

When the opportunity for a life change and career change presented itself to me I knew I couldn't leave sales but i could pick a great product. A product that could make a difference.  I decided to launch a community based home decor and building magazine.  A vehicle that local businesses can use to get the message out to consumers about the great products they have.  A symbiotic relationship between my customers and my product. 

So this brings me back to the thought "If you build it they will come.."   Absolutely true, with lots of marketing effort.  Our second issue comes out in 5 days and it looks even better than the first issue and the best part is my customers have had a great response- symbiotic...
www.ourhomesmagazine.com/oakville

No comments:

Post a Comment