Friday 9 December 2011

Go Cheap and Don't Go Home


I was chatting with my editor Gina tonight over the bad case of home envy that we get on a regular basis. We were moaning about how costly but how beautiful so many of the items we see in homes and in stores are.  Of course we came up with a million reasons why we shouldn't spend the extra dollars. 

Then I started thinking back on all of the purchases that I had cheaped out on.  The couch that I bought because the kids were going to wreck it anyway, which had a split seam within 2 months.  Vs the one I bought almost 10 years ago that still looks great.  The dressers that my husband build out of pine for the kids (in our DIY phase- he had every tool imaginable).  They looked lovely but try opening and closing the drawers in different weather conditions.  "Mom,  I can't get my socks out of my drawers".  They ended up leaving the drawers open.

 This could easily translate to interior design

I am pretty sure if I counted up the real cost vs my perceived savings I could have some pretty extraordinary pieces in my home right now.  I think there are times when choosing a less expensive option is right but maybe not a cheap option.  Time to turn over a new leaf....(not a cheap leaf either)

No comments:

Post a Comment