Wednesday 11 January 2012

Sunglasses for your Windows

Lake House 10 800x1200 Tastefully Designed Residence in Thailand: The Lake House

I love windows, the bigger the better.  I think this is the primary reason I have been drawn towards more modern contemporary architecture recently.  Floor to ceiling window give you an direct connection to the outdoors.  There are drawbacks.  While I don’t currently live in a modern home, I do have a sunroom.  The room can become blisteringly hot in the summer and quite frosty in the winter.  Add to that fading that damages my hardwood floors and furniture.

I started looking into different options recently.  When I lived in a century home in Toronto, with very drafty windows I would get out my hairdryer and window film for a DIY fix.  Not overly attractive but it helped.  The reality is there are great options available that can make a big difference and negate the draw backs associated with big beautiful windows.   Suprisingly, insulating window blinds and can halt up to 86% of heat gain and 80% of heat loss.  Add to that they are now constructed of material  that still allows you a clear view out of the window.  You can’t beat that.

One of the products I came across was Krumpers Solar Blinds.  One of the testimonials spoke to me “temperature in the room went from 103F to 75F, after installation of the blinds”.  I do have good energy efficient windows, so would solar blinds really make a difference? Apparently low-E still allows for 60% heat transfer rate through the glass in summer and winter, but Krumpers Solar Blinds reduces this to less than 20%. In the winter they can reduce winter heat loss by 45%. Sounds like I have something to add to my wish list.
Decorative- No. They are attractive to look at but from an interior design perspective they don't add colour or texture to your room. I can still buy beautiful drapes for that.....


"Best Blinds of 2010" and have been nominated once again as "Best Blinds of 2011" For more information on Krumpers Solar Blinds  www.krumperssolarsolutions.ca


 

1 comment:

  1. nice looking of these sunglasses of window i like it. thanks for share on your blog.
    Solar Blinds

    ReplyDelete