Thursday 27 October 2011

Fun and Games with Insulation


Last spring we started a reno- which is still not finished.. LOL.  We have a history of building and renos- tearing down walls in our old house, building a cottage, building a two story bunky- you name it.  One of our challenges is working together. I do have a tendency to get obsessed with certain things.  One of my obsession is caulking and insulating.  Seems strange?  One of our first houses in Toronto was an old semi and we had mice.  We tried traps and would awaken to screams coming from a mouse stuck in a glue trap, poison results in dead carcasses. So I  bought spray foam and
caulk and went to town.  I spent hundreds of dollars and caulked around the entire main floor, between the two houses in the basement.  It worked, so that fueled my obsession.  I know I like to fill every hole or gap with insulation.  The problem is that I tend to overfill and create twice as much work with trimming the excess foam insulation.




Our master bedroom is above the garage and it is drafty and cold.  When we pulled up the carpeting, I had my chance. Despite having been told I am not allowed to go near anything with spray foam,  I filled all the cracks between the floor and the wall.   I used Arctic Foam, it filled the cracks and didn't over expand.  Much to my husband's chagrin, the room is much less drafty.

Last spring we decided to turn our back porch into a sun room that is usable for 3 seasons maybe 4. One of our challenges re 4 seasons was our furnace probably was not set up for heating another room.  We decided to give the Arctic Foam another shot and used it all around our new windows and doors.  It worked perfectly, barely any work trimming the excess and the room is toasty except for the coldest of days. Now where can I find some holes to fill......


Brooke Giannetti Sunroom- almost like mine :)

1 comment:

  1. Shannon - Thank you for your entertaining story! We hope more homeowners will be as daring as you to attempt sealing their homes again with ArcticFoam!! Looking forward to hear about where you go next on your insulation adventure.

    ReplyDelete